BH-40 ballhead with B2 AS II clamp.
BH-40 LR II features:
- Lever-release clamp with spirit level: 60mm B2 AS II.
- 40mm diameter ball is hollow.
- One 90° drop notch.
- Knobs and lever are captive and uniquely shaped.
- Main locking lever is springloaded; pull out to reposition in 60-degree increments. Lever freely clears platforms narrower than 2.7 inches.
- Drag set control has laser engraved indictor scale.
- Exclusive drum & symmetrical progressive band brake securely locks panning base.
- Panning base is laser-engraved at 2.5 degrees intervals.
- All components are either anodized aluminum or stainless steel for years of corrosion-free performance.
- Other clamp options: B2-mAS, B2 AS II, B2-Pro II, or PCL-1.
- Really Right Stuff camera body quick-release plate required; purchase separately. Body plates are model specific, not generic. Under the Categories tab on left, select "Camera & L-plates" then drill down to your specific make and model.
A note about choosing the BH-40 LR II ballhead: The clamp that comes installed on this ballhead is our full-size B2 AS II clamp. This clamp is larger than the clamp that comes installed on the BH-40 LR ballhead. If the diameter of your tripod platform is larger than the base diameter of the ballhead (2.1"/53mm) you will experience clearance issues when using the drop notch; you will not have full use of the drop notch because the clamp will hit the tripod before reaching 90-degrees. The larger B2 AS II clamp cannot freely clear wider platforms because the head itself has such a low profile. This is not an issue if you only use L-plates, but we strongly urge you to choose the BH-40 LR ballhead instead of the BH-40 LR II ballhead if you use conventional body plates.
Comes packed in its own padded Cordura protective draw-string pouch. Use the pouch to cover and protect the ballhead when mounted to the tripod, for carrying the ballhead in your carry-on luggage when traveling, or when the ballhead & tripod are strapped to a photo backpack.
And a note about load capacity...
We rate the load capacity of our BH-40 ballhead very conservatively at just 18 pounds. Why do we do this when competitors' ballheads in this same class are rated for greater load capacities? We feel that a better guide for choosing a ballhead is to consider how well the ballhead operates while it's loaded with gear. For example, we routinely recommend our BH-40 as the ballhead of choice for lenses like 70-200mm/f2.8 zooms and 300mm/f4 primes. Does that mean the BH-40 can't handle a 300mm/f2.8 lens? Of course not! Our BH-40 ballhead is robust enough for occasional use with even a 500mm/f4 lens. But if you primarily use a 300mm/f2.8 lens (and bigger) for your tripod work, we guarantee you'll be happier with our BH-55 full-size ballhead. Bigger loads simply handle better on a bigger ball, period. So when you're trying to decide which ballhead is going to be best for you, consider that load capacity is only one of many features to consider. Any questions? Call our onsite pros and we'll help you choose the best support system for your gear.
This item includes ballhead, quick-release clamp, and storage pouch. Images may show additional gear that is not included.
- Load Capacity: 18 lb / 8 kg
- Height: 3.0 inches / 76 mm
- Base Diameter: 2.1 inches / 53 mm
- Ball Diameter: 1.6 inches / 40 mm
- Tripod Mount: 3/8"-16
- Weight: 17.1 oz / 486 g